Commerce Career Day Is for All Majors! (Really it is!)
I hope your week is off to a great start! This week I want to speak with you about virtual career fairs. These are great opportunities to meet with employers online. UVA hosts several a year and this fair draws fairly large, established employers. The name here indicates that this fair is sponsored by and hosted by the Commerce School. It is their expectation that all undergraduate students will attend this fair.
When you click the link above, you will find employers such as American Express, Altria, Bessmer Trust, Capital One, Carmax, Deloitte, Inveture, Genworth, Yext, and ZS Associates. Most of these employers have established training programs and know what their hiring needs are well in advance of next spring/summer.
Employers will hold info sessions with groups, and 1:1 meetings with individual students. Later this week, I'll send a note through collab with the ECO's employer picks for this year's fair, which will be held this Friday, 9/10. Schedule at least an hour in your day to attend if you are internship or job-seeking. And if you're curious, but not ready to job search, the info sessions provide a great opportunity to hang back and listen. Please check out the three links below about approaching the fair. If you are in a full-on job search, I recommend choosing 3-5 employers that are your "must-sees" and schedule around those sessions.
- Make sure your lighting is good and your mic works in case you choose to speak.
- If possible, appear in a neat room, or use a virtual background.
- Dress neatly.
- Prepare your pitch using VMOCK (AI platform that records your pitch and scores you) and this ECO template and these tips.
- Have your resume handy to borrow talking points and possibly share with employers.
- Research the employers that are the most interesting to you and come with questions. You'll find some at the links belowl
- Be yourself (really!).
- Send a thank you after the info session of 1:1 session.
All the best,